When you’re in a hurry, it is often hard to create meals/snacks that are wholesome and deliver the right combination of protein, fat and carbohydrates. Smoothies are a great way to get good quality nutrition fast without compromising on quality ingredients. Here are some of my favourite smoothie combinations, I like to have a smoothie for breakfast but you can have them any time of the day.
Young coconut milk & flesh scooped out
2 egg yolks
raw cacao powder
Blend raw kefir with frozen beries or fruit, egg yolks for protein, raw vanilla powder & stevia if you need sweetness
Coco banana smoothie
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tblspoon coconut oil
Some hints for making extra tasty smoothies –
- Adding frozen fruit such as berries or bananas is a great way to add sweetness and texture, giving it a real “thick shake” consistency
- Always aim for raw organic ingredients where possible.
- Egg yolks are great to add in for protein (must be organic). Egg whites are not well digested raw, so leave them out.
- If you cannot find young coconuts, you can use coconut milk instead, or organic coconut water with some coconut oil added for fats.
- Sweeten with Stevia instead of honey or sugar
- Blending organic nuts in to the smoothie is a great source of protein and fat, and can be used instead of egg yolks.
- Add banana & organic peanut butter to milk for another great combination