One of my clients sent me this recipe the other day and I immediately knew I had to make it..I totally LOVE anything sweet & salty, especially salted caramel. What I loved most about this particular recipe is that it only has 6 ingredients and is SUPER easy. I have adapted it to suit my pantry’s contents as well as taste, you should do the same!
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons of honey (you can use less here if you like things less sweet)
1/2 cup of nut butter – I used organic ABC
1/4 cup of honey (or less)
1/3 cup of virgin coconut oil
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
Large sea salt flakes
1. Grease an 8×8 square pan with coconut oil and line with baking paper
2. For chocolate layers, add cacao, coconut oil and honey to a small pan over low heat, ideally use a double boiler to avoid burning chocolate. Stir constantly until the mixture is completely melted, combined and smooth.
3. Pour approximately 2/3 of the chocolate mixture into the bottom of the greased pan and reserve the other 1/3. Place the pan into the freezer to set for 15 minutes.
4. While the bottom layer is setting, start on the caramel by adding nut butter, honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract and sea salt to a small pan over med-low heat. Whisk constantly for a few minutes or until melted. Let the mixture cool slightly.
5. Pour the cooled mixture over the set chocolate layer and carefully spread across ensuring the caramel isn’t too hot that it melts the chocolate.
6. Return the pan to the freezer for another 15-20 mins.
7. Pour the remaining chocolate mixture over top, carefully smooth out and sprinkle with large flake sea salt if you choose.
8. Return the pan to the freezer to set for another 30 mins.
9. Carefully turn the pan over to release the chocolate caramel slice, allow to warm a little before slicing into squares. Store cut squares in fridge or freezer.